Child Safety Policy
We want children and young people who participate in our program services to have a safe and happy experience. We support and respect our children, young people, staff, and volunteers.
The Policy guides staff, volunteers and visitors on how to behave with kids in our Practice. The Policy focuses on how we can promote kid’s participation in our Practice and make it safer for them.
Support Kids’ Participation
We support the active participation of kids in our Practice. We listen to their views, respect what they say and involve them when we make decisions, especially about matters that directly affect them. Such involvement is always set in the context of what is developmentally appropriate.
Support Staff and Volunteers
- All workplace activities will promote respect, fairness and consideration for all
- All staff and volunteers will have a designated person assigned to support and supervise their work. This is often either the Practice Manager or Principal Psychologist.
- All new staff and volunteers will receive a copy of the Child Safe Policy.
Staff and Volunteers will receive annual updates on Child Safe improvements and their mandatory reporting obligations.
- Learning Curves will maintain a recruitment screening and selection process which is consistent with the highest efforts to ensure safe working with kids.
- This standard will be achieved by ensuring Working with Children Checks are undertaken before commencement and through regular monitoring of the status of workers and volunteers.
Dealing with Suggestions & Complaints
- The appointed child safety contact person is the Practice Manager.
- Kids, parents and staff can expect support in understanding how to make a complaint either in word or writing.
- Confidentiality is vital during this process and the Practice Manager in consultation with the Principal Psychologist has the role of handling the issue/s. The Children & Young Persons (Care & Protection) Act 1998 will direct action.
- We will hold regular information sessions for staff and volunteers.
- Our Policy will be discussed during all induction sessions.
- Kids and Parents receiving services from Learning Curves will be shown a copy of this Policy and can request or download a copy from the website.
The Policy and guidelines will be reviewed every two years (next 2018) and incorporate improvements based on incident outcomes, comments and suggestions from children and young people, parents, staff and volunteers.